Electronic Medical Records (EMR) systems are a far superior method of documentation in radiology services than conventional, paper-based systems. Computer-based technologies for radiology reporting offer a number of practical advantages, including:
- Better report turnaround time
- Collects and stores growing volumes of clinical data
- Results can be instantly communicated
- Creates and issues legible, well-organized radiology reports
- Maintains digital images
- Easy to track patient information like records, reports and images
- Electronic exam processes reduces paper waste
- Enhanced diagnostic accuracy due to computer-based decision-support tools
- Protects data against intrusion and loss
All this is accessible through the most comprehensive web-based service for radiology providers available known as Radiology Services Online that offers medical interpretational reporting on radiology examination.
The key features of this online tool include:
Powerful search: A number of powerful search options facilitate the immediate location of a patient’s records by name, date, time slot and more.
Role-based security: Individuals in the practice can be provided varying levels of access security within the system.
Accessibility: Any-time viewing of radiology images on any PC equipped with Internet Explorer.
Additionally, clinical efficiency is improved due to these unique features:
• Once the images (plain film) are uploaded, the film can be destroyed because the images are preserved in the digital record.
• The system hardware (secure servers) is preserved from loss by operating in two data centers that are located in different places
• No more missing reports or x-rays! The records are maintained on a HIPAA compliant server for 7 years after which they are archived to disc.
Personal health records in paper based format have been used since the beginning of modern health care services. These have several disadvantages as they cannot be accessed rapidly during emergency, difficulties in sharing of these records, security and vulnerable to physical destruction as shown in recent Hurricane Katrina disaster in New Orleans in 2005. These records are also difficult to carry around for the individual when migrating to another medical center or health care provider.
Although there are different methods to record one’s personal health, Portable Digital Personal Health Record Storage medias are popular since they offer the advantage to Individuals to enable them maintain their health information at their own computer hard drive or other storage devices. Moreover, these could be made easily accessible to any health care provider by the individual who controls the data.
Flow of Information:
◊ The technician after conducting the x-ray scan will upload the images directly to the patient record and automatically forward it to the radiologist for reading.
◊ The radiologist will access the site and provide his or her observations and findings on the patient record which will get converted into a printable electronic report that will be permanently attached to the patient record.
◊ Once the report is posted (anywhere from 10 minutes to 6 hours after the exposure is made), the facility will have immediate access to the results on-line.
This pioneering radiology study device addresses the distinctive needs of radiology clinics, while simultaneously meeting their office management and billing software needs. It enables technologists, radiologists and administrative staff to improve their productivity by helping them work smarter and more efficiently. Better patient safety and faster turnaround on patient diagnosis can never be compromised. Radiology Services Online effectively addresses the need for rapid image access, timely information sharing and an overall streamlined work flow.